The success of the Models 1891 and 1892 in .22 caliber, and the popularity of the takedown system of Marlin's center-fire lever action rifles, prompted John Marlin to develop this takedown .22 lever action rifle, introduced in 1897. A number of variations on this basic design were produced, from magazine size to barrel lengths, and even a "bicycle gun" with a 16" barrel and magazine.
It is speculated that over 81,000 Model 1897 rifles were manufactured, with serial numbers ranging from 150,021 to A7,938 and 450,036 on the "Model 97" (during 1905 the model designation was changed from "Model 1897" to "Marlin Model '97". Records on the production of this rifle ended in 1905. A hard rubber buttplate was standard, and the receiver was case colored at the factory.